Fancy salads with all the ingredients just taste better – and are better for you – even when an iceberg lettuce salad with ranch and cheese is your easy go-to. I love this romaine hearts recipe because it features such fun and unusual ingredients, you won’t feel like you are eating a salad.
For best results, the romaine hearts should be grilled prior to topping with ingredients, but lacking a grill I did without and they still tasted yummy.
- 1 large romaine lettuce heart
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 5.5 oz marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 oz roasted garlic
- 1/4 oz fresh tarragon
- 1/4 oz fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Remove leaves from the tarragon and parsley and discard the stems. Rough chop leaves and set aside.
- Slice the artichokes into 1/2 inch pieces, set aside.
- Finely chop the roasted garlic and set aside.
- Cut the lemon into 4 wedges and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together roasted garlic, half the tarragon and parsley, the juice of only 1 lemon wedge, half the goat cheese and 1/8 cup water.
- Slice the romaine lettuce head in half lengthwise. If grilling, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and char until lettuce is warmed but not wilted. If not grilling, add salt and pepper and move to next step.
- Drizzle each half with goat cheese cream.
- Top each with artichokes, pine nuts and the remaining goat cheese, tarragon and parsley.
- Serve with lemon wedges.