If you’ve seen the new trend of smashing potatoes but don’t know how, this is a quick and easy recipe to try! Smashing potatoes makes for a more crispy potato than simply baking without “smashing” first.
Total time: 1 hour 30 min
- 2 1/2 pounds new potatoes (about 20)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place potatoes in a large pot. Add enough water to cover potatoes by at least 2 inches. Add 1 tablespoon salt and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until tender, 15-22 minutes. Drain potato water.
- Spread 1 tablespoon oil on a large rimmed baking sheet. Place each potato on the baking sheet, and with the bottom of a glass, gently press until crushed but still intact. Brush tops of smashed potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Roast in oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine melted butter, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic and thyme. Remove roasted potatoes from oven and brush mixture over potatoes. Rotate the baking sheet and place back in oven. Roast for another 10 minutes, until potatoes are golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oven and toss with parsley and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve with your favorite vegetable (I chose to quick-fry up some broccoli in olive oil).
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Woman’s Day