Everyone loves hummus! It’s delicious, creamy, versatile, filling and relatively healthy. Plus, it’s better for way more than just dipping your pita bread in. This recipe from Sabra hummus brand (my personal favorite brand) combines garlic with melted oil, gooey mozzarella cheese and pizza dough for a delicious appetizer.
Prep: 15 min // Cook: 35 min // Total time: 50 min
Yield: 6 large buns
- 1 pizza dough (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 container Sabra Classic hummus
- 12 pearl or Bocconcini mozzarella balls
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Flaky sea salt, as needed
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch cake pan and set aside.
2. Mince garlic and set side. Drain mozzarella balls, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
3. Roll out pizza dough onto flat surface. Using a pizza cutter, divide into 6 equal pieces.
4. Take each piece, and scoop 1/6 of the hummus into the middle. Top with 1/6 of the minced garlic and 2 mozzarella balls. Pinch the dough around the hummus to seal it. Place it into the prepared pan.
5. Repeat with the remaining 5 pieces of dough.
6. If your pizza dough is the kind that needs to rise, cover the pan with a kitchen towel and let rise until puffed, about 30 minutes. If not, skip directly to the next step.
7. Brush the tops of the buns with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake until golden brown, 25 – 35 minutes, then drizzle with more olive oil and parsley. Serve hot.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Sabra Hummus / PureWow