Pea pesto is surprisingly delicious, for something that sounds like a half-assed attempt at making delicious food healthy, and no longer delicious. But it’s actually very tasty, and very versatile. Check out these yummy Pea Pesto Crostini for proof!
My husband hates peas, but pea pesto has many other flavors, including garlic and lemon. Plus, it’s very hard to go wrong when it comes to pizza!
Active time: 30 min // Total time: 55 min
- 1 11oz package refrigerated thin-crust pizza dough
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- 6oz fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1.5 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425. Roll out pizza dough on lightly greased rimmed baking sheet. Press into 15 x 11 inch rectangle.
- Bake pizza crust in preheated oven until lightly browned and crisp, about 12 minutes.
3. In a food processor, pulse 1 cup basil, peas, parsley, lemon juice, oil, garlic and salt until smooth. Spread pesto over crust, and top evenly with mozzarella.
4. Increase oven temperature to broil, with oven rack set 3 inches from heat.
5. Broil the flatbread until cheese smelled, about 2 minutes. Top with remaining 2 tbsp basil leaves. Slice and serve!
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Southern Living