I wouldn’t make the claim that all the recipes I share are healthy, but wowsers is this an unhealthy, fatty recipe. While making it, I was slightly horrified at the amount of butter and oil I was using. But while eating the finished result, my taste buds and stomach were dancing for joy. Maybe your taste buds jumping for joy burns some of the calories in this dish? Scientifically impossible, but a foodie can dream.
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (12×17”)
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups small grape tomatoes, washed, dried & sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, washed, dried & chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash, dry & slice ingredients. Set each topping aside separately.
3. In a small skillet, melt butter. Combine with olive oil.
4. Brush a large baking sheet with the oil / butter mixture. Lay first sheet of phyllo dough down. Brush with oil / butter mixture. Repeat for a total of 6 layers.
5. Add 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese.
6. Continue laying phyllo sheets one at a time, brushing each with oil / butter mixture.
7. Coat the final, 12th layer with oil / butter mixture. Add 2 cups of shredded mozzarella.
8. Evenly spread out tomato, green bell pepper and onion. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Brush with oil / butter mixture.
9. Cut carefully into 3-inch squares. Bake for 20 minutes or until phyllo dough turns golden brown.
10. Remove from oven. Top with cilantro and mint leaves. Serve.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by The Mediterranean Dish