I love chickpeas and everything they can make, from hummus to chana masala. I tried to make a recipe for “Tuscan White Bean Skillet,” only to find halfway through prepping that I was all out of white beans! Frantic, I substituted chickpeas instead and hoped for the best. This dish came out so great that I’m only going to make it with chickpeas from now on.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans roasted diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chickpeas, salt, pepper, oregano and sugar. Stir and cover. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until hot.
- Serve with plenty of toast / crusty bread to sop up the juices!
Source: Adapted from a recipe by The Wanderlust Kitchen